This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Self manifests its presence in different forms but its most deadly form is when it operates silently, flying under the radar, running unnoticed and unchecked by its host.
This happens either by willful ignorance or plain negligence. It is willful ignorance because the Spirit would never fail to warn the believer of an attack by Self.
The operations of self;
- Self makes you regard what the men you can see would think of you and/or your actions rather than the God you seem not to see
- Self makes you put what you feel above what God says
- Self causes you to question God’s word with worldly wisdom (I Corinthians 1:19) – This is why God detests worldly wisdom and sets His heart against it; it throws doubt on His word
All that is in this world that stands against God has its roots in Self; it is manufactured within the fortress of Self.
The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life are all the products of a life that is ruled by Self (I John 2:16). Every one of them feeds self;
- All that a man desires, needs and wants (lust of the flesh) is for the benefit of Self,
- All that a man sees and desires (lust of the eyes) are the things that would satisfy Self (Proverbs 27:20), and,
- All that a man esteems (pride of life) are derived from Self. He is proud of himself. There would be no pride without Self; you will be hard pressed to define pride without the word ‘self’.
When God, through His Spirit, starts dealing with Self, it can become extremely unpleasant, just as Paul witnessed but even then it is in that dealing that strength comes and the power of God is truly made manifest in the believer’s life (II Corinthians 12:7-10).
It is in that dealing that resources of the Holy Spirit are made available to believer because he is now engaged in a conflict that is sanctioned by Heaven.
As long as he continues to engage in this warfare the believer can count on the hosts of Heaven to sustain him. He also has at his disposal the power and authority of the LORD of Host. It is then that battle is the LORD’s and He gives the victory (II Chronicles 20:15).
Apostle Paul experienced it, and even Jesus too experienced it (Matthew 26:39).
In this verse Jesus’s war against Self is described in graphic details: “And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground” (Luke 22:44).
When one finally emerges from this dealing he is fit carry his cross and follow in the steps of the Master, with his eyes firmly fixed on the glory that is to come.
Thanks for reading...
Please share and don’t hesitate to leave your comments. Thanks for coming through…
If you have questions you can write as a comment or send to email@example.com
Chino is a leader in a students-based church in Kharkiv Ukraine. He serves as a minster, brother’s coordinator and assistant choir director. He is passionate about spiritual leadership and consecrated service to God.